cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device name different then dropbox shows

Device name different then dropbox shows

Sultec
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The device name dropbox has for my computers is different than what they are currently  named. How can I tell which is which  now?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Sultec wrote:

I think those were what the computers were originally called before I  renamed them to something more friendly. If I'm right can I change them on Dropbox?

Not anymore. You used to be able to double-click a computer name on your Security page and rename them, but that was removed quite a while ago. The only way to do it now would be to unlink the computer from your account and then relink it. You might even need to do a reinstall though I don't know if that's necessary. Has been a while since I last tried.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Sultec, thanks for messaging the Community.

Generally, the names that appear on the Dropbox site would be the official device names on the machine itself.

What are the current names, if the info isn't personal, and what is the device name?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sultec
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

DESKTOP-ULJLDAI probably the Inspiron desktop
DESKTOP-D9NLR5A probably the HP Probook

I think those were what the computers were originally called before I  renamed them to something more friendly. If I'm right can I change them on Dropbox?

-Tom

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Sultec wrote:

Not anymore. You used to be able to double-click a computer name on your Security page and rename them, but that was removed quite a while ago. The only way to do it now would be to unlink the computer from your account and then relink it. You might even need to do a reinstall though I don't know if that's necessary. Has been a while since I last tried.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Sultec Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?