cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I uninstalled Desktop app, but Dropbox is still syncing folders

I uninstalled Desktop app, but Dropbox is still syncing folders

Minety15
Explorer | Level 3

I uninstalled the Desktop app, but Dropbox is still syncing folders to and from the original and Dropbox folder ==> C:\Users\xxxxx\Dropbox\My PC (XXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX)\Documents and \Pictures \Music etc

My laptop system often automatically stores files in the Dropbox folder, so if I spot it happening I manually select the original folder instead.

I've learnt today that if I delete a file from the original folder it is instantly deleted from the Dropbox folder, and vice versa.

I also created a new folder in the original folder structure and it instantly created a new folder on the Dropbox folder, and vice versa.

I'm guessing therefore that my attempts to stop my system auto-adding files to Dropbox is futile, because it's going to sync it across anyway, despitethe fact the app in Uninstalled.   

How do I stop the above happening please?

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@Minety15 wrote:

I've learnt today that if I delete a file from the original folder it is instantly deleted from the Dropbox folder, and vice versa.

There isn't an original folder and a separate copy in your Dropbox folder. There's just the copy in your Dropbox folder. They're both the same folder.

C:\Users\xxxxx\Dropbox\My PC (XXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX)\Documents and \Pictures \Music etc

When you activated the backup feature, Dropbox MOVED your key folders (Desktop, Documents, etc.) into your Dropbox folder so they could sync. It wasn't syncing those folders from their original location. Those folders actually reside in your Dropbox folder.

When you uninstalled Dropbox you failed to disable the backup feature first, so the folders remained where they were in your Dropbox folder. You'll need to manually move them back to their original location.

Minety15
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply Rich, I'm confused how a folder can have two different names yet there's only one actual copy of its contents. I just picked an image file name and a Word doc at random and did a search, and sure enough, there is only one copy of each, yet I can navigate to to them at C:\Users\xxxxx\Dropbox\My PC (XXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX)\Documents or \Pictures and also at This PC\Documents\ or \Pictures 
Am I being stupid?

So basically I need to somehow switch off the Backup function, I presume that means reinstall of Dropbox, Untick Backup, and Uninstall?

Thanks again for your help on this.

Regards

Andy

Rich
Super User II

@Minety15 wrote:

I'm confused how a folder can have two different names yet there's only one actual copy of its contents.

Documents (and other key folders) aren't like regular folders. They're part of your user profile and can be moved to other locations while still being shown under This PC. No matter where you move the folder (as long as it's moved using the proper method) it will still appear under This PC.

So basically I need to somehow switch off the Backup function, I presume that means reinstall of Dropbox, Untick Backup, and Uninstall?

It's too late to disable the backup feature; it needed to be done before you uninstalled. If you reinstall Dropbox now it will act as though you're setting up backup for the first time again, and likely fail since Documents isn't in the original location.

If you don't intend to use Dropbox anymore, just leave it off the computer and move the folders back to their original location using the steps listed in the link I posted in my first reply.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Minety15 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?