cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I leave a Family plan?

How can I leave a Family plan?

Geraldine Ward
Explorer | Level 3

I run a business and one of my clients created a family plan. I had a lot of work directly linking to files on their dropbox and could no longer link to it. They said they couldn't share folders like they did previously and sent me an invite to join their family. I was unaware it would close my professional account until I clicked and immediately got an email saying i will get a  refund of my subscription as my account is closing. As I no longer have a professional account I also don't have access to support. Sent an email got a hopeless reply asking all the questions I had put in my email and now they won't even bother replying as I asked someone to call me as I was angry. I have just lost access to my business. 

So it seems Drobox won't help me. I can't even work out how to move my 500TB back out of the family plan. I can move it to my computer in instalments I can't seem to select all and copy. Can someone point me to how I can move it. If I leave the plan I only go to a basic plan so god knows where the work goes. I have a hard drive but fear it will take me a week to download and move across. 

Absolutely deflated

Geraldine

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Geraldine Ward, thanks for messaging the Community.

As part of a Family plan, you should have access to email and chat support from Dropbox support.

You can leave the Family plan at any time by following these steps. You'll return to a Dropbox Basic plan away from the Family, so you'll need to upgrade to a Dropbox Professional plan again.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Geraldine Ward
Explorer | Level 3

I don't have access to chat, only email and they have stopped replying to me. If I leave the family plan and have 500TB of files and go to a basic plan - then upgrade to professional will all my files still be there? Or do I have to get it to under 2GB first? Ideally I would like both. To be on the family plan for that client only and then move all of my business files to my professional plan. How can that be done?

Rich
Super User II

@Geraldine Ward wrote:

If I leave the family plan and have 500TB of files and go to a basic plan - then upgrade to professional will all my files still be there?

Yes, all of your files will still be there. If you're over quota when you go back to 2GB, syncing will just stop until you upgrade again, or you're back below quota.

Ideally I would like both. To be on the family plan for that client only and then move all of my business files to my professional plan. How can that be done?

It can't be, at least not with one account. Keep your account separate and upgrade it back to Professional, then create a new account with a separate email address and use that to join the family plan.

Geraldine Ward
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you . 

Can I make a suggestion - in your email that invites people to join a family plan in big red writing before the button tell them they will lose their subscription. this is very unclear. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Geraldine Ward Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?