cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added to a team

Added to a team

Tricia1980
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Community. 

Someone i'm working on a project with shared a folder so that we both have access to files. It would also appear that I've been aded to this persons team to access branding info etc. However since then my dropbox is showing as her team name but still contains my files. I'm obviously concerned about privacy (my family pics etc are all backed up in Dropbox) and each file is showing her team name underneath. When I click into the folder the permission is set to 'only you' 

Can anyone help? I want me dropbox to remain as it was - is my security and permission breached? 

Thank you! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Tricia1980 wrote:

However since then my dropbox is showing as her team name but still contains my files. ... I want me dropbox to remain as it was - is my security and permission breached?

It sounds like you were invited to and joined their Business account. When doing so, you merged your account into their team account, effectively making them the owner of your account. In order to leave the team, the team admin needs to convert your account back to an individual account. It's important that they don't just remove you from the team as doing so would delete your account. If that were to happen, the team admin only has seven days to restore your account.

When you join a team your files are kept separate from the other members, but the team admin has the ability to sign in as any member of their team on certain account types (remember, they own your account now). If the team admin were to sign in as you, they would have access to everything in your account.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Tricia1980 wrote:

However since then my dropbox is showing as her team name but still contains my files. ... I want me dropbox to remain as it was - is my security and permission breached?

It sounds like you were invited to and joined their Business account. When doing so, you merged your account into their team account, effectively making them the owner of your account. In order to leave the team, the team admin needs to convert your account back to an individual account. It's important that they don't just remove you from the team as doing so would delete your account. If that were to happen, the team admin only has seven days to restore your account.

When you join a team your files are kept separate from the other members, but the team admin has the ability to sign in as any member of their team on certain account types (remember, they own your account now). If the team admin were to sign in as you, they would have access to everything in your account.

Tricia1980
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Rich, 

Wow, I had no idea! Thanks so much for your reply. 

Thankfully she's a friend so I trust her with the information and it sounds like it can be resolved. I have a lot of my late dad's stuff in there so I'm so grateful I didn't just ask her to delete me! 

Tricia 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Tricia1980 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?