cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I created a new dropbox account and destroyed access to old dropbox account

I created a new dropbox account and destroyed access to old dropbox account

Jon-Burrows
New member | Level 2

I'm new to the Community; I'll try to use proper etiquette.

A friend emailed me a link to one of his folders. I clicked on it and typed in my email account. The next screen asked for my first and last name and my password; I typed it all in and hit enter. The system created a new account with the old username and password. That's now all I can see when I log in - the folders I had before are unavailable.

How do I combine two accounts that use the same email, name, and password?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

Hi @joedicicco5150 

I suspect you actually have 2 accounts..... even if you dont realise it because this account is signed in and registered to a different email to the account you opened this thread with (which is under the name @Jon-Burrows). Either that or you used somebody elses account/device for awhile accidentally. 

The other possibility based on you saying you dont use Dropbox often is how long ago did you last log in? If it was over 12 months the account data would have been deleted due to inactivity. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Jon-Burrows, thanks for messaging the Community!

Could you clarify exactly what kind of link you clicked on? A screenshot showing this might help us out.

Are you certain that you created a new empty Dropbox account? Do you have another email address on which you could have an account?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

joedicicco5150
New member | Level 2
Hi Jay,
Thanks for getting back to me.
As I said in my 1st email, I entered this same email address and the same password. I don't have a screenshot; when I sign in, I see only the one folder for which I got a link.
This is the only email address I use for my only account, which I don't use much.
If the old stuff is gone, OK. The problem is that someone else could commandeer my account with my email and some new password.
Please recommend the next step. Thanks.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @joedicicco5150 

I suspect you actually have 2 accounts..... even if you dont realise it because this account is signed in and registered to a different email to the account you opened this thread with (which is under the name @Jon-Burrows). Either that or you used somebody elses account/device for awhile accidentally. 

The other possibility based on you saying you dont use Dropbox often is how long ago did you last log in? If it was over 12 months the account data would have been deleted due to inactivity. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jon-Burrows
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay,

I'm sure you're right that I hadn't used the account in over a year. Thanks for your help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jon-Burrows New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    joedicicco5150 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?