cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Solved] Cannot login with university Single Sign On (SSO) link code in Ubuntu 20.04

[Solved] Cannot login with university Single Sign On (SSO) link code in Ubuntu 20.04

zhsh
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What I am trying to do:
- install dropbox desktop app inside a Ubuntu 20.04 virtual machine

- sign in with my university account (umich provides dropbox SSO)

- set up a folder for selective syncing

- unlink my account since this VM will be distributed to students for them to link their own accounts to (which will also be through umich SSO)

The problem:
- opening the dropbox app via system tray or command line redirects to firefox browser (it opens a new non-incognito window, so this is not exactly the same issue as jewett_aij_scr's issue)

- I login with SSO in the browser and are offered a code to "go back to the Dropbox installer and enter the following link code"

- there is no where to use the link code while the dropbox GUI shows its status as "Starting..." while Sign in is also available

I installed the dropbox 64bit desktop client for Ubuntu using the 2020.03.04 version of the .deb from dropbox's main install page

I have read the discussions in

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/What-am-I-supposed-to-do-with-the-copied-link... 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Entering-Link-Code-After-Install-Ubuntu-18-04... 

but they have not resolved my problem

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

zhsh
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

OK managed to find a solution that worked for me posted by gnn https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Entering-Link-Code-After-Install-Ubuntu-18-04... 

The working steps are then

1. open dropbox from system tray (command line also works)

Selection_009.png

 2. Click Sign in from the top bar if it doesn't automatically open a browser for logging in

Selection_011.png

3. Sign in via the menu on the top right - do not sign in using the page body's forms since that will just create a link that you can't use.

Selection_012.png

4. It will take you to a page asking you if you would like to connect the computer to your dropbox account; select Connect

 

 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

zhsh
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

OK managed to find a solution that worked for me posted by gnn https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Entering-Link-Code-After-Install-Ubuntu-18-04... 

The working steps are then

1. open dropbox from system tray (command line also works)

Selection_009.png

 2. Click Sign in from the top bar if it doesn't automatically open a browser for logging in

Selection_011.png

3. Sign in via the menu on the top right - do not sign in using the page body's forms since that will just create a link that you can't use.

Selection_012.png

4. It will take you to a page asking you if you would like to connect the computer to your dropbox account; select Connect

 

 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @zhsh, thanks for reaching out to our Community!

I'm glad to see you were able to resolve your sign in issue yourself.

If you come across any other issues, do let us know.

Have a great week ahead!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @tomnoltoun, did the above solution help with the issue you encountered?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    zhsh New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?