cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I backup Dropbox on an external, does it keep the my Dropbox files that are locally?

If I backup Dropbox on an external, does it keep the my Dropbox files that are locally?

andrea52
Explorer | Level 3

When you do a backup of dropbox to an external hard drive on a mac does it backup only files that have been uploaded to your local computer? Does it backup what is on the dropbox cloud or just what is local on your computer. There are lots of files on my computer that are not uploaded to my local drive. Will those get saved in the backup?

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @andrea52, welcome to our Community! 

You mentioned making a backup of Dropbox to an external drive. Would you mind clarifying how you'd like to achieve that? 

Would you copy the Dropbox folder, and then place its content inside your external hard drive? If not, feel free to clarify. I'm asking, to get the gist of what you'd like to achieve here. 

If you'd choose to do it the way I mentioned above, it would then backup all the content that currently exists inside your Dropbox folder locally. 

If any of the content has been removed by selective sync for instance, then you'd need to download these folders locally first. 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

andrea52
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Megan, 

I will attach an external hard drive to my Mac and then copy the entire local dropbox folder to that external hard drive. The issue I have is that there are a lot of files on my local dropbox that are not downloaded (they have a cloud next to them) to the local hard drive. If I click on them they then download them to the local hard drive. If I do a complete copy of the dropbox onto an external hard drive I am assuming that those files (that have a cloud next to them) will not copy over? I have the preferences correct and everything I save directly to dropbox does not have a cloud but I have someone else who shares a folder with me (they have a separate account) and her files are the ones that have the cloud next to them.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @andrea52, awesome, thanks for the explanation!

Essentially, the content will copy from the Dropbox folder, to the external hard drive.

However, online-only files aren't fully downloaded as actual files, it's the placeholders of the file. That means that you could copy them over, but it's not certain that they would preview correctly when you try to open them directly from your external drive. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

andrea52
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the response. We both have our dropbox folders marked as "available offline" so not sure why when we each save documents to a shared folder it doesn't download automatically it still shows with the cloud. Are we doing something wrong?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @andrea52, is the file itself available offline? 

Would you mind sending over a couple of screenshots, in order for me to have a visual? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

andrea52
Explorer | Level 3

unfortunately due to privacy issues I can't screenshot to a public community like this. Do you have a email I can use since you work for dropbox?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @andrea52, could you contact the support team directly for them to assist further on this matter?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    andrea52 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?