cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Plan for Personal and Business mixed use

Best Plan for Personal and Business mixed use

Sorg67
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a free plan.  I have not used it much.  I am shutting down a server and looking for a place to store the files.  There are both business and personal finance data that needs to be very secure and personal data I would like to share with friends and family.

I have about 500 GB of data at the moment.  Might have more if I pull in my wife and children's files.  2 TB is plenty for now.

Is the free plan good enough?  Do I need a paid plan?  Which one?  One of the team plans to extend access to other family members?  Can I limit family access to certain folders?  Should I have two plans?  One for business files and another for personal files?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Sorg67 wrote:

I have about 500 GB of data at the moment.  Might have more if I pull in my wife and children's files.  2 TB is plenty for now.

With 500GB of data the Basic (free) plan won't work. The Basic plan starts with 2GB and while you can earn more space for free, you won't be able to earn enough space to hold 500GB.

If you plan on bringing your wife and children in and you want to keep your files separate from theirs, I'd suggest the Family plan. You'll each have your own separate account (up to 6 people) and share 2TB of space, and you'll all have access to a common Family Room folder.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Sorg67 wrote:

With 500GB of data the Basic (free) plan won't work. The Basic plan starts with 2GB and while you can earn more space for free, you won't be able to earn enough space to hold 500GB.

If you plan on bringing your wife and children in and you want to keep your files separate from theirs, I'd suggest the Family plan. You'll each have your own separate account (up to 6 people) and share 2TB of space, and you'll all have access to a common Family Room folder.

Sorg67
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Great answer! I miss read the 2GB for free plan as 2 TB. Thanks!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sorg67 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?