cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Apple iCloud storage space to store and sync Dropbox files?

hellomrchang
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I recently bought a Mac with 256GB flash drive, comes with 5GB free iCloud storage. And I have a 1TB+ shared company folder that I need to get access, upload and download. Obviously 256GB is not enough space, so I purchased 2TB iCloud Storage plan with Apple for $9.99/Month.

Now, question is, how can I take advantage of this purchased 2TB iCloud, store and sync everything in it? Because when I tried to change the Dropbox folder location to my Desktop (the Desktop is automatically stored in iCloud), it gives me error message like the screenshot below: "This folder isn't available because of a conflict with iCloud."

Just to mention that I need not only copy and paste this 1TB+ folder, it also needs to be able to sync because it is a company shared folder, and I'll need access all newly uploaded files or making accessible changes for everyone sharing it.Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 7.54.32 AM.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@hellomrchang wrote:

You can't. That's not how iCloud (or Dropbox) work.

Getting space from a service like Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive or Google Drive doesn't give you additional space on your computer. It gives you the ability to store up to that amount in your account online. If your intention is to sync files with your computer, you still need a hard drive with enough space on it to hold your files. Not only that, you usually can't put one service's sync folder into another service's sync folder because there will be conflicts as each service tries to sync the same files.

And I have a 1TB+ shared company folder that I need to get access, upload and download. Obviously 256GB is not enough space ...

If you need the entire 1TB folder to be synced to your computer, you'll need a larger hard drive. Otherwise you can use features like Selective Sync to remove the local copy of a folder to save disk space, or set the files to be Online-only so they appear in your Dropbox, but only exist online until you need them.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@hellomrchang wrote:

You can't. That's not how iCloud (or Dropbox) work.

Getting space from a service like Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive or Google Drive doesn't give you additional space on your computer. It gives you the ability to store up to that amount in your account online. If your intention is to sync files with your computer, you still need a hard drive with enough space on it to hold your files. Not only that, you usually can't put one service's sync folder into another service's sync folder because there will be conflicts as each service tries to sync the same files.

And I have a 1TB+ shared company folder that I need to get access, upload and download. Obviously 256GB is not enough space ...

If you need the entire 1TB folder to be synced to your computer, you'll need a larger hard drive. Otherwise you can use features like Selective Sync to remove the local copy of a folder to save disk space, or set the files to be Online-only so they appear in your Dropbox, but only exist online until you need them.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?